Boating accidents often result in catastrophic injuries that require emergency care. Although there are countless factors that lead to boat crashes, the majority are due to negligent and reckless behaviors such as drunk boating, speeding, and inattention. The Texas boat accident attorneys at Ely, Valentine & Reed, PLLC help victims of boating injuries fight for the compensation they need to afford medical treatment, lost wages, and other damages.
Types of Cases Our Boat Accident Attorneys Handle:
Boating is a year-round activity in Texas, which is why our state has some of the highest boating accident rates in the country. Hundreds of people are injured and dozens die in boating accidents each year. Victims and their families are often left wondering how they will afford the medical expenses and loss of income.
Our attorneys handle a variety of boating accident cases including:
- Alcohol-Related Boating Accidents: Drunk driving is a leading cause of boating wrecks in the United States—and Texas is certainly no exception. Our attorneys will evaluate toxicology and crash reports and talk to witnesses to determine if alcohol impairment may have played a role in your crash. If so, we can help you pursue punitive damages in addition to compensation for your economic and non-economic losses.
- Boating Accidents Due to Speeding: Driving a boat at an excessive speed not only makes the vessel more difficult to control, but it also increases the likelihood of an injury or death occurring in the event of a crash. Our attorneys will investigate your case and may bring in accident reconstruction experts to prove that speeding contributed to your wreck.
- Boating Accidents Due to Equipment Defects: A negligently designed or manufactured part could result in an equipment malfunction. If a defective part contributed to your crash, our boating accident lawyers can review schematics and blueprints, speak with boating parts specialists, and identify all potentially liable parties.
- Ejection Injuries: Being ejected from a boat at a high speed can result in debilitating injuries such as broken bones, a dislocated shoulder, soft tissue damage, and brain trauma.
- Injuries Caused by Propellers: Coming into contact with a propeller can cause deep lacerations and even amputations. Most of these injuries are caused by negligent boat operation.
Other Types of Boating Accidents: Even if the at-fault party was not breaking a law, you may still have grounds for a claim. Our boating accident attorneys handle personal injury and wrongful death cases involving inexperienced boaters, poor weather conditions, and other types of hazards. We handle cases involving all types of watercraft including cabin cruisers, yachts, tenders, personal watercraft (wave runners and jet skis), inflatable boats, sailboats, kayaks, canoes, and airboats.
How Soon After My Boating Accident Should I Call an Injury Attorney?
If you were injured in a boat crash, you should consult a boating accident lawyer as soon as possible.
Valuable evidence that can be used to prove liability and damages may become unavailable within days of your crash. Our lawyers will perform an immediate investigation into the cause of your accident. We will identify all potentially liable parties, handle correspondence with the defendant and insurance company, calculate your damages, and help you avoid critical mistakes.
There are also strict deadlines for filing personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits. If the deadline passes, your case will almost certainly be dismissed. It is important to contact a boat accident lawyer as soon as possible.